navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

Jules Wiese(1818 - 1890)

Jules Wièse (1818-90), after having apprenticed in Berlin at the House of Hossauer, he moved to Paris to work with Jean-Valentin Morel. In 1839, he entered into the workshop of Francois-Désiré Froment-Meurice and became head silversmith in 1844. November 22 of the same year, he moved his workshop to 63 rue de la Tissanderie and registered his mark. His mark mysteriously disappeared from the registers between 1849 and 1858. In 1858, his workshop is mentioned at 48 rue de l’Arbre Sec, then, in 1864 at 90 rue de Richelieu. Jules Wieze died in 1890, but in 1880 had conferred the reigns of his workshop to his son Louis.

His mark on is on the reliquary of Charlemagne, ordered by Napoleon III for the House of Saint-Clous and presented at the Universal Exhibition of Paris in 1855.