Charles Frederick Hancock
An Amazing Set of Five Figural Salt Cellars
Each realistically cast as a boy or girl with a woven basket strapped to the back, on a circular or oval base set with bronze, inscribed with conjoined monogram PM, comprising four single figural salt cellars and one double figural salt cellar, the singles marked underneath T45 and the double marked T44
Hancocks was founded by 1st January 1849 by Charles Frederick Hancock. He was previously a partner of Storr & Mortimer. He opened a shop on the corner of Bruton Street, new Bond Street, London, from where he advertised, in 1850, ‘As successor to Storr & Mortimer, Jeweller and Silversmith by special appointment to the Principal Sovereigns of Europe, (he) begs to return his most grateful thanks to the Nobility and Gentry for the kind patronage bestowed upon him and respectfully (informs) them he has recently established a manufactory adjoining his premises, affording him additional facilities in producing Works of Art and making every description of Plate, etc.’.
The firm exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 with an impressive display of silver and subsequently appeared in Paris in 1867 and Vienna in 1873. Here Hancocks were awarded ‘solely’ the Emperors’ gold medal for Science and Art in addition to the ‘Prize Medal’. In 1856, Mr. Hancock was also granted the prestigious award of designing and producing the Victoria Cross which is still made exclusively by the company today.
The firm was restyled Hancock, Son & Company in 1866 on the semi retirement of Charles Frederick Hancock. His son, Mortimer, became partner with Henry Dore and Horatio Stewart. Three years later the company was renamed Hancocks & Company when his other son, Charles Frederick Junior, joined the partnership upon the complete retirement of his father.
You May Also Like