navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Robert II Garrard (1793 - 1881) A Splendid Victorian Pineapple Cup & Cover

Silver-Gilt
London, 1856
Maker's mark of Robert Garrard II
Retailer's stamp of R & S Garrard

Height: 48.25cm, 19in.
Diameter: 20.25cm, 8in.
Weight: 1935g, 62.25oz

Silversmith Biography

Robert Garrard II was apprenticed in 1809 to his father, Robert Garrard I, a partner of Wakelin and Company, and gained his freedom of the Grocers' Company by patrimony in 1816. After the death of his father in 1818, Garrard entered his mark and, with his brothers James and Sebastian, took over the management of the workshop. During the early nineteenth century, the firm's business expanded at a tremendous rate, especially after the decline of Rundell, Bridge and Rundell in the 1820s. In 1830, the Garrards were appointed goldsmiths and jewellers to the king and in 1843 official crown jewellers. A large design studio was set up by them, which was modelled on that developed by Rundel, Bridge and Rundell and employed several well-known painters and sculptors, including Edmund Cotterill. During the mid-nineteenth century, Garrard's was one of the leading producers of elaborate presentation silver.

Description

In the German Renaissance style, the baluster stem cast with gargoyles, the conforming waisted bowl and detachable cover chased with grotesque masks and foliage, engraved with crests and coat-of-arms, raised on a hexafoil lobed foot stamped R&S GARRARD PANTON STREET LONDON.


The arms of Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison, 2nd Bt., M.P. on his marriage (1844) to Caroline, daughter of Henry Fox-Strangways, 3rd Earl of Ilchester.

Edward Kerrison (1821-86) of Brome Hall was known as a great friend of agricultural laborers in Eye, Suffolk which he represented in Parliament and to which town he brought the railway.

The caltraps on his shield are age-old weapons of defense against cavalry and with the crest of augmentation mark the distinguished service of the first baronet, General Kerrison (d.1853) against the Napoleonic armies. The Fox component of the shield contains the fleur-de-lis granted by Charles II to Sir James Fox (1627-1718) for his resource in finding funds to support that king's exile.

A Splendid Victorian Pineapple Cup & Cover (1793 - 1881) Reference: DT19/9/1