Maker's mark of The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company
Height: 43 cm, 16.9 in.
Weight: 7,516 g, 241 oz 12 dwt
Register / login as a Koopman Rare Art Member HERE to reveal additional information and prices
The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The firm participated in a number of national and international exhibitions, such as the Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908). The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.) CHRONOLOGY The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co - 1880 - 1898 The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd - from 1898 amalgamated with Garrard & Co - 1952Description
The ewers would have been inspired after a design by Sigisbert-François Michel (1728-1811), of classical form, one for wine, decorated with a satyr seated at the shoulder, its arms around the neck and holding the horns of a goat's head mask, with interlaced strap handle, the body swagged with fruiting vines, the lower section matted with stiff leaf decoration, on a fluted, foliate bordered pedestal base with keyed square plinth, the second for water, of identical form but decorated with a triton at the shoulder, holding the horns of a dolphin, the body swagged with aquatic leaves.
The design for this pair of ewers probably originated in a pair of plaster vases, one decorated with a triton and one with a satyr, symbolizing water and wine, exhibited at the Académie de Saint-Luc in Paris in 1774 by Sigisbert-François Michel (1728-1811), nephew of Claude Michel, known as Clodion (1738-1814)
You may also like
( - ) A Spectacular German 19th Century Two-Handled Cup and Cover
Joseph Preedy ( - ) An Important Pair of Royal Wine Coolers
Jean-Valentin Morel ( - ) A Set of Four Silver-Gilt Figural Salts
Peter Taylor ( - ) A Set of Four Silver-gilt Nautical and Lion Mask Salts
William Elliott (1762 - 1854) A Silver-gilt Tankard of Exceptional Gauge
Charles Fox ( - ) A Silver-Gilt Mounted Claret Jug