navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Edward Feline A George II Waiter, from the Warrington Plate

Silver
London, 1746
Maker’s mark of Edward Feline
The arms are those of Grey impaling Booth for Henry Grey, 4th Earl of Stamford (1715-1768) and his wife Mary, daughter of George Booth, 2nd Earl of Warrington.

Height: 3cm, 1.1in.
Width: 27cm, 10.6in.
Depth: 20cm, 7.8in.
Weight: 841g, 27oz

Provenance

Henry Grey, 4th Earl of Stamford (1715-1768) By descent to Catherine, Lady Grey and Sir John Foley-Grey Catherine, Lady Grey and Sir John Foley-Grey; Christie's London, 20 April 1921, lot 100 Christie's London, 12 June 2007, lot 57 Christie's New York, January 26 2010, lot 146

Silversmith Biography

Son of Peter 'Fellen' of St. Martin's in the Fields tailor, apprenticed to Augustine Courtauld 31 March 1709. Free, 6 April 1721. An 'Edwards Pheline' married, 21 April 1720, Renee Barbut of the parish of St. Martin's, daughter of John Barbut (q.v.), at West Street Huguenot Church, to which 'Edward Feline' signs as witness. Two marks (Sterling and New Standard) entered as largeworker, 25 September 1720. Address: Rose Street, Covent Garden. Third mark, 15 June 1739. Address: King Street, Covent Garden. Livery, April 1731. His son Edward was apprenticed to him 3 April 1745. Feline was presumably dead by 15 May 1753, when his widow Magdalen entered her first mark, at the same address.

Description

Rectangular, on four ball-and-claw feet, the openwork border with grapevine, the centre engraved with an Earl's coronet.

The salver is one of a pair; the other is engraved with the arms of George Booth, 2nd Earl of Warrington (1675-1758), father-in-law of Henry Gray, 4th Earl of Stamford. The two sold as consecutive lots at Christie's London, 12 June 2007, lots 56-57, and together at Christie's London in 1921.

The existence of pairs, or very similar items, engraved with the arms of the Earl of Warrington on one and the arms of his daughter and son-in-law on the other is not unique to the present example. Two salvers by James Schruder, 1741 (J. Lomax and J. Rothwell, Country House Silver from Dunham Massey, no. 37 and no. 69) are similarly engraved to this salver and its pair.

The Schruder salvers are each flat chased with rocaille, which is out of keeping with Warrington's usual preference for plain silver. This has led Lomax and Rothwell to suggest that the order may have come from the Earl and Countess of Stamford, with one kept for their use and one given to the Countess' father, (op. cit., p. 134) which was probably also the case with this salver.


A George II Waiter, from the Warrington Plate Reference: dt14.14.1