navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Philip Rundell (1743 - 1827) A Magnificent Four-Piece Tea & Coffee Service on Tray

Silver London, 1822-23 Maker’s mark of Phillip Rundell

Total weight: 8,740g, 281oz Length of tray: 73cm, 28.7in

With contemporary coat-of-arms, crest and motto ‘Pro Rege et Lege’

Additional Images Silversmith Biography

Son of Thomas Rundell doctor of Widcombe Bath, born 1743. Apprenticed to William Rodgers jeweller of Bath on payment of £20. Arrived in London, 1767 or 1769, as a shopman to Theed and Pickett, Ludgate Hill, at a salary of £20 p.a.. Made partner with Picket in 1772 and acquired sole ownership of the business in 1785-6. Took John Bridge into partnership in 1788 and his nephew Edmund Walter Rundell by 1803, the firm being styled Rundell Bridge and Rundell from 1805. Appointed Goldsmith and Jeweller to the King in 1797, due it is said, to George III's acquaintanceship with John Bridge's relative, a farmer near Weymouth. He took Paul Storr into working partnership in 1807, an arrangement that lasted until 1819, when the latter gained independence. Only then was Rundell's mark entered as plateworker, 4th March, 1819. Address: 76 Dean Street, Soho, (the workshop). In 1823 John Bridge enters his first mark and it seems probable therefore that it was about this time that Rundell retired. He did not die however until 1827, leaving his fortune of 1.25 million to his nephew Joseph Neeld.

Description

The tray on four feet with a shell and gadrooned border, scrolling acanthus leaf handles and centre engraved with a coat-of-arms. The four piece service also engraved with the same coat of arms and crest. The service half fluted and decorated with ivy tendrils, leaves and flowers.

A Magnificent Four-Piece Tea & Coffee Service on Tray (1743 - 1827) Reference: dt20.31.15