navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

Philip Rundell (1743 - 1827) An Impressive George IV Cup on Stand

London, 1821                                                                                                                                                              Maker’s mark of Phillip Rundell

Height: 46.5cm, 18.3in                                                                                                  
Weight: 5,660g, 181oz 18dwt

Silversmith Biography

Son of Thomas Rundell doctor of Widcombe Bath, born 1743. Apprenticed to William Rodgers jeweller of Bath on payment of £20. Arrived in London, 1767 or 1769, as a shopman to Theed and Pickett, Ludgate Hill, at a salary of £20 p.a.. Made partner with Picket in 1772 and acquired sole ownership of the business in 1785-6. Took John Bridge into partnership in 1788 and his nephew Edmund Walter Rundell by 1803, the firm being styled Rundell Bridge and Rundell from 1805. Appointed Goldsmith and Jeweller to the King in 1797, due it is said, to George III's acquaintanceship with John Bridge's relative, a farmer near Weymouth. He took Paul Storr into working partnership in 1807, an arrangement that lasted until 1819, when the latter gained independence. Only then was Rundell's mark entered as plateworker, 4th March, 1819. Address: 76 Dean Street, Soho, (the workshop). In 1823 John Bridge enters his first mark and it seems probable therefore that it was about this time that Rundell retired. He did not die however until 1827, leaving his fortune of 1.25 million to his nephew Joseph Neeld.


The cup on pedestal foot and with half-fluting. The body decorated with cast and applied vine tendrils fruiting bunches of grapes. The bifurcated vine handles supporting Bacchic putti. The stand with cast vines and Bacchic masks to the side panels.

An Impressive George IV Cup on Stand (1743 - 1827) Reference: DT20.52.3