navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Paul de Lamerie (1688 - London 1751) An Important George II Pair of Paul De Lamerie Sauce Boats

Silver
London, 1735
Maker’s mark of Paul De Lamerie
Length: 7.75in, 3.05in
Weight: 958g, 30oz 16dwt

Literature

Paul De Lamerie His Life & Work, Philip A.S Phillips Page 97 and plate C

Silversmith Biography

Paul de Lamerie arrived in England with his Huguenot parents in or before 1689, having been baptized at 's Hertogenbosch in the Netherlands in 1688. In 1703 he was apprenticed to the Huguenot goldsmith Pierre Platel, and after being admitted to the freedom of the Goldsmiths' Company, he registered his first mark and set up a workshop in Windmill Street, Soho, in 1712. He took thirteen apprentices between 1715 and 1749 who paid premiums varying between £10 and £45m In 1716 he married Louisa Juliott, also a Huguenot, and by her had six children, three of whom died in childhood. Little more of his personal history is known, although his career in the Goldsmiths' Company is comparatively well documented. By 1717, he was already referred to as 'the King's Silversmith' but again in a complaint 'for making and selling Great quantities of Large Plate which he doth not bring to Goldsmith's Hall to be mark't according to Law.' He joined the livery in 1717; fourteen years later he was elected to the court of assistants. In 1743 he was appointed fourth warden and in 1747 second warden; that he never became prime warden probably due to ill health. From the outset he had wealthy clients such as the Honourable George Treby and the Duke of Sutherland. Among his more important later patrons were Sir Robert Walpole, Baron Anson, and the fifth Earl of Mountrath. A gradual expansion of his business culminated in his move in 1739 to considerably larger premises in Gerrard street. His pre-eminent position in the trade is signified by the commission he received in 1740 from the Goldsmiths' Company to provide two of their most splendid pieces of ceremonial display plate, a silver-gilt inkstand and the famous rococo ewer and dish.

Description

The sauce boats oval in shape and resting on a moulded spreading base the bowl raises to the lip in a very graceful curve; the rim is curved and shaped and reeded, breaking in the centre of each side into a raised volute finish, with an applied shell on the body beneath; beneath the rim there is a band of flat-chased ornament, spreading under the lip and at the back and around the shells. The simple inverted scroll handle at the back is supported above the rim and attached to the bowl by a quatrefoil.
This piece exhibits much strength in its form and demonstrates the craftsman’s ability to combine his reserved style of decoration with that of his early rococo period

An Important George II Pair of Paul De Lamerie Sauce Boats (1688 - London 1751) Reference: 23183.1