navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
John Cafe Four George II Candlesticks

Silver                                                                                                                        London, 1744
Maker’s mark of John Cafe
Height: 9 1/4 in. (23.5 cm.) high,
Weight: 110 oz. 8 dwt. (3,436.5 gr.)

 

Silversmith Biography

Son of Biles Cafe of the parish of Blackford in the County of Somerset yeoman, apprenticed to James Gould 15 December 1730. Free, 5 March 1740. Livery, September 1746. First mark entered as largeworker, 21 August 1740. Address: Foster Lane. Moved to Carey Lane, 13 April 1741. Second mark, 13 December 1742, 'the old being broke'. Moved to Gutter Lane, 31 May 1743. Dead by 13 October 1757, when his apprentices Thomas Hannam and John Perry were turned over, by consent of his executor John Winning, to William Cafe.

Description

Each on a triangular base cast with shells and scrolls, the knopped blauster stem similarly cast and engraved with fish scales, the shaped circular waxpans with rocaille on reverse, top of base engraved with a coat-of-arms, the waxpan with a crest, marked on undersides of base rims.

 

Four George II Candlesticks Reference: DT21.16.2