navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Matthew Boulton (1728 - 1809) A George IV Epergne Centrepiece

Silver & glass
Birmingham, 1828
Maker’s mark of Matthew Boulton
Height:47cm, 18.5in
Weight:4,360g, 140oz 2dwt
 

Silversmith Biography

Matthew Boulton of Birmingham ran a complex manufactory, employing good design and increasing quality while keeping prices low. As one of the Lunar Society and very much part of the Industrial Revolution, he started both the Birmingham and Sheffield Assay Offices in 1773 and was one of the first to curtail child labour and introduce a social and medical security plan for his craftsmen. With his partner, John Fothergill, Boulton established the Soho Manufactory near Birmingham in 1762 and produced ormolu, Sheffield-plate, silver, clocks and other ornamental wares for English and European royal and noble patrons including George III, Catherine II, The Empress of Russia, and The Prince of Wales, later George IV.

Description

The centrepiece with a pyramid base resting on four lion’s paws. Two panels engraved with contemporary coats-of-arms of the family the other two panels with cast and applied flowering acanthus. The column and four branches formed as acanthus leaves, fruit and flowers. The main central cut-glass dish supported on a ring of flowering acanthus.
 

A George IV Epergne Centrepiece (1728 - 1809) Reference: DT21.55.1