Robert Frederick Fox
A Large Silver-Gilt Wine Cistern
The body of elongated shape with foliate and floral decoration around a Rococo revival cartouche with the arms of Campbell, Duke of Argyl. Resting on lions’ paws feet.
After the death of his father George Fox, his son Robert Frederick Fox, born 1845, continued the family business as C.T & G. Fox, entering his first mark in 1910. This business began with his grandfather Charles Fox who is described as a ‘plateworker’. In 1822, Charles was succeeded in business by his son Charles Fox II, entering various marks throughout the 1820s suggesting that his workshop of operations was quite a large establishment using various marks for different categories of work. At his retirement, the family business was taken over by his sons Charles Thomas and George who produced silver with conjoined marks. In 1860, the firm continued solely under the management of George Fox and then by succession to his son Robert Frederick on his death.
You May Also Like