navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Robert Garrard II (1793 - 1881) A Monumental 19th Century Pilgrim Bottle

Silver
London, 1865
Maker's mark of Robert Garrard

Height: 78 cm, 30.7 in.
Weight: 9220 gr., 296 oz. 8 dwt.

£ 47,000

Additional Images Silversmith Biography

Robert Garrard II was apprenticed in 1809 to his father, Robert Garrard I, a partner of Wakelin and Company, and gained his freedom of the Grocers' Company by patrimony in 1816. After the death of his father in 1818, Garrard entered his mark and, with his brothers James and Sebastian, took over the management of the workshop. During the early nineteenth century, the firm's business expanded at a tremendous rate, especially after the decline of Rundell, Bridge and Rundell in the 1820s. In 1830, the Garrards were appointed goldsmiths and jewellers to the king and in 1843 official crown jewellers. A large design studio was set up by them, which was modelled on that developed by Rundel, Bridge and Rundell and employed several well-known painters and sculptors, including Edmund Cotterill. During the mid-nineteenth century, Garrard's was one of the leading producers of elaborate presentation silver.

Description

Pilgrim bottles date to ancient Roman times in the West and to 7th-century China in the East. They were made in a wide range of materials, including earthenware, porcelain, silver, and glass, and also in more perishable materials such as leather. Originally these vessels may have been carried by travelers on their journeys, but the ones that have survived are so sumptuous that their function was probably purely ornamental. If they were used, it must have been, as in the case of some of the traveling tea or coffee sets of Meissen porcelain, exclusively by the very wealthy. Pottery pilgrim bottles are found in China from the Tang dynasty (618–907), possibly imitations of even earlier metal prototypes dating as far back as the Zhou dynasty (1111–255 BCE). In 16th-century Europe, metal pilgrim bottles—generally of silver or silver gilt and probably of Chinese inspiration—were made mainly in Augsburg, Germany; they were also made in coloured glass (generally green) with ormolu, or gilded brass, mounts. Along with the Chinese blue-and-white Ming (1368–1644) pilgrim bottles, the most famous are the pear-shaped stoneware bottles made at Meissen by Johann Friedrich Böttger.
By the 19th century maker's such as Robert Garrard as with this example produced decorative vessels for perhaps one of the great exhibitios such as Crystal Palce or indeed a prize for horse racing. It is very rare to find the size one see here with our lovely example.

A Monumental 19th Century Pilgrim Bottle (1793 - 1881) Reference: DT22.29.2