Maker’s mark of William Fountain
Weight: 514oz, 15,985g
Height: 9 5/8in, 24.5cm
The arms are those of Graham, Dukes of Montrose.
Register / login as a Koopman Rare Art Member HERE to reveal additional information and prices
Son of John Fountain late of Poplar in the County of Middlesex shipwright deceased (and younger brother of John, above) apprenticed to Fendall Rushworth of Goldsmith's Hall Citizen and Goldsmith 1 October 1777. Turned over the same day by consent to Daniel Smith of Aldermanbury London Citizen and Merchant Taylor. Free, 2 February 1785. Mark entered as plateworker, in partnership with Daniel Pontifex, 29 July 1791. Address: 13 Hosher (Hosier) Lane, West Smithfield. Second mark alone, 1 September 1794. Address: 47 Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell. Third mark 30 June 1798. Moved to King Street, Clerkenwell, 1 April 1811. Fourth mark, 5 February 1821. Address: Harford Place, Haggerston Bridge. Heal records him as plateworker, Charterhouse Lane, 1787, before the entry of his first mark; otherwise up to 1800 as above.Description
The wine coolers of campana form, engraved on both sides with a coat-of- arms under a Duke's coronet. The half fluted wine coolers with shell and gadrooned rims, the handles formed as openwork leafy scrolls rising from double shells. The square incuse cut-corner cast pedestal feet with shell and gadroon decoration.
Hallmarked on the bodies, detachable rims and liners
Scratch weights 130=11, 125=13, 128=1, and 122=6
The arms are those of Graham, Dukes of Montrose, probably for James, 3rd Duke (1755-1836), K.G., Lord Justice General of Scotland, Lord-Lieutenant of Counties Stirling and Dumbarton, and Chancellor of the University of Glasgow.
You may also like
Charles Reily & George Storer ( - ) A pair of silver-mounted Ascos Jugs
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) A Magnificent George III Tea Urn
Sebastian & James Crespell ( - ) A George III Soup Tureen
John Samuel Hunt ( - ) A Pair of Silver Gilt Victorian Wine Coolers
Elkington & Co ( - ) A Victorian Parcel-Gilt Tazza
Thomas Pitts ( - ) A George III Bowl and Stand