Maker's mark of Paul Storr
Length over handles: 40.6 cm, 16in.
Weight: 11895 gr., 382 oz.
Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio, 1st Conde de Povoa and Barao de Teixeira (1774-1833), then by descent, sold Christie's, Geneva, April 27, 1976, lot 197
Christie's New York, October 20, 1999, The Collection of Alan and Simone Hartman, lot 206
R. dos Santos and I. Quilho, Ourivesaria Portuguesa nas Coleccoes Particulares, Lisbon, 1974, p. 117
Son of Thomas Storr of Westminster, first silver-chaser later innkeeper, born 1771. Apprenticed c'1785. Before his first partnership with William Frisbee in 1792 he worked at Church Street, Soho, which was the address of Andrew Fogelberg, This is also the address at which Storr's first separate mark is also entered. First mark entered as plateworker, in partnership with William Frisbee, 2 May 1792. Address: 5 Cock Lane, Snow Hill. Second mark alone, 12 January 1793. Address: 30 Church Street, Soho. Third mark, 27 April 1793. Fourth 8 August 1794. Moved to 20 Air Street, 8 October 1796, (where Thomas Pitts had worked till 1793). Fifth mark, 29 November 1799. Sixth, 21 August 1807. Address 53 Dean Street, Soho. Seventh, 10 February 1808. Ninth, 21 October 1813. Tenth, 12 September 1817. Moved to Harrison Street, Gray's Inn Road, 4 March 1819, after severing his connection with Rundell, Bridge and Rundell. Eleventh mark, 2 September 1883. Address: 17 Harrison Street. Twelfth and last mark, 2 September 1833. Heal records him in partnership with Frisbee and alone at Cock Lane in 1792, and at the other addresses and dates above, except Harrison Street. Storr married in 1801, Elizabeth Susanna Beyer of the Saxon family of piano and organ builders of Compton Street, by whom he had ten children. He retired in 1838, to live in Hill House in Tooting. He died 18 March 1844 and is buried in Tooting Churchyard. His will, proved 3 April 1844, shows an estate of £3000. A memorial to him in Otely Church, Suffolk was put up by his son Francis the then incumbent of the parish. For full details of Storr's relationship with Rundell, Bridge and Rundell please see N.M. Penzer, 1954 or Royal Goldsmiths, The Art of Rundell and Bridge, 2005. Storr's reputation rests on his mastery of the grandoise neo-Classical style developed in the Regency period. His early pieces up to about 1800 show restrained taste, although by 1797 he had produced the remarkable gold font for the Duke of Portland. Here, however the modelling of the classical figures must presumably have been the work of a professional sculptor, as yet unidentified, and many of the pieces produced by him for Rundell and Bridge in the Royal Collection must have sprung from designs commissioned by that firm rather than from his own invention. On the other hand they still existed in his Harrison Street workshop, until destroyed in World War II, a group of Piranesi engravings of classical vases and monuments bearing his signature, presumably used as source material for designs. The massiveness of the best of his compositions is well shown in the fine urn of 1800 at Woborn Abbey, but the Theocritus Cup in the Royal Collection must be essentially ascribed to the restraint of its designer John Flaxman, while not denying to Storr its superb execution. Lord Spencer's ice pails of 1817 show similar quality. Not all Storr's work however wasof classical inspiration. The candelabra of 1807 at Woburn derive from candlesticks by Paul Crespin of the George II period, formerly part of the Bedford Collection, and he attempted essays in floral rococo design from time to time, which tend to over-floridity. On occasions the excellence of his technical qualities was marred by a lack of good proportions, as in the chalices of the church plate of St Pancras, 1821. In spite of these small lapses there is no doubt that Storr rose to the demands made upon him as the author of more fine display plate than any other English goldsmith, including Paul De Lamerie, was ever called upon to produce.Description
Each shaped oval on a cast and chased pedestal foot of four sculptural dolphins on a wave-capped and rockwork base, the lower body clad in shellwork, the upper body with applied grapevines emerging from entwined vine handles, with everted shell and gadroon rim, the domed fluted cover with acanthus calyx and leaf-capped double scroll handle, each side applied with coat-of-arms within acanthus mantling, and applied Baron's coronets to cover, each marked on side, under cover and on calyx, the covers and bodies also numbered 1-2
Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio, 1st Conde de Povoa and Barao de Teixeira (1774-1833):
The arms are those of, quarterly, Teixeira, Sampaio, Amaral and Guedes, as borne by Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio, 1st Conde de Povoa and Barao de Teixeira (1774-1833). The Conde de Povoa had an illustrious career as a leading merchant and statesman. After studying in England, he began his lucrative business career in that country, increasing his fortune upon his return to Lisbon. He became an important Portuguese statesman with appointments as Minister of Finance and President of the Exchequer and was granted numerous orders.
As Sampaio's son predeceased him, his fortune passed to his daughter, Dona Maria Luisa de Sampaio Noronha. In 1836, she married the 2nd Duke de Palmella, Don Domingos de Sousa Holstein (1818-1864). The present lot descended in that family, and can be seen in a photograph of the dining room of Casa Palmella, Lisbon, depicted here, showing these tureens in situ.
The Conde de Povoa was a significant patron of Paul Storr during the 1820s, commissioning an important service with many pieces featuring marine motifs. The service, much of which sold at Christie's, Geneva, April 27, 1976, included the present lot, as well as a pair of larger tureens with mermaid and triton handles, eight salt cellars formed as mermen, six campana-shaped wine coolers, a pair of Warwick vases, a suite of four- and three-light candelabra, a table garniture consisting of two four-light centerpeice-candelabra, and an eight-light candelabrum on a plateau. The larger tureens and pair of four-light centerpiece-candelabra were subsequently sold from the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Claus von Bulow, Sotheby's, New York, October 28, 1988, lots 218, 219. The large candelabrum, depicted here, was presented to the Preservation Society of Newport County, Rhode Island by Mr. and Mrs. Claus von Bulow. A pair of sauce boats from the service of 1824 sold at Christie's, New York, April 11, 1995, lot 264.
The form of these tureens had been used by Storr as early as 1820 for a pair made for the Duke of Devonshire, sold at Christie's, London, June 25, 1958, lot 24. The design was also used by Garrard's for a tureen for Lord Grantley in 1824, illustrated in The Campbell Museum Collection, 1972, no. 14.
The choice of nautical motifs on the service is not surprising given the great part played by maritime themes in the art and literature of Portugal. The Conde de Povoa's patronage of the English silversmith Paul Storr reflects not only his ties with England, where he studied and began his business, but also the strong political and trade ties between the two nations. The service, which must feature as one of the great services that Storr produced following his departure from Rundell, Bridge and Rundell in 1819, at which time he established a shop in New Bond Street with John Mortimer. The service descended at Casa Palmela, Lisbon, the family home of the Dukes of Palmela, until April 1976 when a signiﬁcant portion of the major pieces were sold by Christie’s at auction in Geneva. All pieces marked for Paul Storr from the Sampaio service, dated either 1822 or 1823. Divided into 8 lots the service weighed just under 6,000 ounces, giving some idea of the outstanding quality of the pieces.
Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio (Angra, 30 October 1774 - Lisbon, March 27, 1833), 1st lord of Sampaio, 1st Baron of Teixeira and 1st Count of Póvoa, was a great merchant, wealthy capitalist and Portuguese politician who had a strong influence, as the main creditor of the State, in the conduct of the financial policy of the last phase of the reign of D. João VI of Portugal. He served as Secretary of State for Finance between 1823 and 1825. He was the largest shareholder of the Bank of Lisbon, predecessor of the current Bank of Portugal.
Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio was born in the then city of Angra, at the time the headquarters of the Azores General Captaincy and main political and administrative centre of the archipelago. He was the son of Francisco Jose Teixeira de Sampaio (1), a merchant, adventurer and possibly captain of ships that came from Lamego. He had settled in the city of Angra in 1766, and married Eulália Floriana Gualberta de Melo Carvão in 1773, a lady linked to the best traditional families of Terceira Island.
Born in the house of his parents in the parish of Sé, he was baptized 16th November in the chapel of the Capitães Generais Palace, with Henrique José de Carvalho e Melo, Count of Oeiras and son of the then all-powerful Sebastião José de Carvalho, and Melo, the Marquis of Pombal. His godfather was mentioned at the ceremony was Captain-General D. Antão de Almada,  which shows the influence that his father had already won in the political and social life of the city.
His father had amassed a fortune in trade with England and with the supply of food to the Navy, not surprisingly he was sent to London to study there in a boarding school. It was in London that he began his commercial career, joining, in the path of his father, in the business of food supplies to the Portuguese armed forces. In 1807 he was chosen as commissioner of supplies of the Anglo-Portuguese army involved in resistance against the Napoleonic invasions of Portugal.
The supplies to the military and a profitable contract to auction the exclusive sale of tobacco allowed him in a very short time to make a prodigious fortune. In a few years he was one of the wealthiest men in Portugal, if not the richest, accumulating goods that at the time of his death, at the age of 59, exceeded 21,000,000 cruzados, a prodigious fortune at the time.
Building on such a large fortune, Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio became one of the most prominent figures in the social and political life of his time, acquiring great influence in the conduct of Portugal's financial policy, particularly when his loans to the public treasury turned him into the principal state lender, who came to borrow specifically to repay debts of which he was a creditor. Despite being considered by Aragon Morato as an ignorant man for all that is not his interest, his influence was immense, almost as great as the millions he lent to the Crown.
After the Peninsular War, he consolidated his fortune and began a journey of social ascension, which went through the obtaining of the commendation of the Order of Christ, of the stocking of 30,000 réis, and of the title of 1st Lord of Sampaio, titles that were graced upon him by the decrees of May 22, 1816, granted in Rio de Janeiro by King João VI of Portugal. The decree granting the commendation refers specifically to the zeal with which the above-mentioned merchant of the Praça de Lisboa was employed during the fortunately ended war, by giving promptly to all commercial transactions that could contribute to the benefit of My Royal Treasury and to the usefulness of my army, as well as what was necessary for the completion of the ransom of the captives in Algiers, in whose important object he gave the greatest proof of his service, and patriotism.
Shortly thereafter, on August 7, 1817, Jose Antonio de Meneses and Sousa Coutinho,  deacon of the Patriarchal Church of Lisbon and member of the Regency Council of the Kingdom, wrote to the king a praiseworthy letter in which he recommended the taking advantage of the fertile head of Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio and recommends the granting of the favors he requested, since he aspires to be adorned. In fact, shortly thereafter, by royal charter of March 16, 1818, the first baron of Teixeira was made, followed by the approval of his justification of nobility, being made a nobleman of arms quota by coat of arms of 6 March 1819.
By this time, his house of commerce was the greater one of Lisbon, only having rival in the great mercantile companies of England, Holland and Hamburg. As his fortune increased the state's financial situation, he became the largest creditor of the public treasury, financing a large part of the loans that Real Fazenda was obliged to launch.
When the Bank of Lisbon was founded in 1822, the predecessor of the current Bank of Portugal, Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio was its largest shareholder, with 400 shares, followed only by Jacinto Fernandes Bandeira, the 1st baron of Porto Covo, with 100 shares . 
On May 28, 1823, José Xavier Mouzinho da Silveira, the head of the royal finances, resigned from the government that he was the assistant minister to the despatch (equivalent to the current position of prime minister) the Azorean Manuel Inácio Martins Pamplona Corte Real. Pedro de Sousa Holstein, then the 1st Count of Palmela, who a few days later, on June 21, 1823, invited Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio, then 1st Baron of Teixeira and main creditor of the State, to exercise the functions of Minister and Secretary of State of the Business of the Treasury.
In those incipient times of departmental structuring of Portuguese government, the post of Secretary of State for the Treasury corresponded to the maximum responsible for conducting the country's fiscal and financial policy (predecessor of the current Finance Ministers). Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio held office until January 15, 1825, when he was replaced by D. Miguel António de Melo, the 1st Count of Murça.
A few days later, in recognition of his merits and multiple services in reducing the financial difficulties of the State, which then owed him more than 2 million cruzados, by decree of July 3, 1823, the Count of Póvoa was made for two lives. The title refers to a large property that was owned in Póvoa de Santo Adrião, outside Lisbon.
The letter confirming the title  again enumerates the repeated proofs of Patriotism, love and zeal for the real service, citing the available resources to meet the urgencies of the State, in particular the supplies to the Army during the Peninsular War, the sums for aid to farmers, for the rescue of captives from pirates of Barbaria and for the purchase of peace with the Algiers Regency.
Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio, now the Count of Póvoa, was installed in a palace in Lisbon, filled with what was most beautiful and luxurious then, including silver plate made in London that had only rival in the royal house. At the time he had only one natural son, named Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio, who had been born in 1820 and who had recognized and whose education he paid, entrusting his sister to serve as tutor.
Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio married twice: the first, on February 13, 1802 in Lisbon, with Marianne Slack, of Irish origin, the daughter of merchants living in Lisbon, who died on October 15, 1804, in childbirth, also deceased the unborn child; the second, on March 1, 1824, when she was 50 years old, with Luísa Maria José Rita Baltazar de Noronha (only 21 years old), who at the time of the marriage was already pregnant.
Waiting for a son, he decided to ask for real approval for the creation of a large morgadio in which he included all his possessions, including his personal jewels, valued in many tales of reis. The approval was given to him by decree of D. Miguel I of Portugal, dated February 27, 1824, therefore before marriage, thus safeguarding the assets accumulated of any consequence that could come from that act.
The child they expected when they were married was born 5 months later, but died almost immediately, thus failing to obtain the desired heir. In 1826 a son, João Maria de Noronha Sampaio, who would become the 2nd Count of Póvoa, was born, but he would also die at the age of 11, in 1837, even after his father died. In 1827 the couple had a daughter, Maria Luisa de Noronha Sampaio, who on the death of her brother, would become the almost universal heir of her father's fortune. This daughter would marry, although against the will of her mother, with Domingos António Pedro de Sousa Holstein, the future 2nd Duke of Palmela, son of the 1st Duke of Palmela and political co-religionist of his father.
Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio died at his home on the Rua da Escola Politécnica in Lisbon on March 27, 1833, at the age of 59, leaving his son João Maria de Noronha Sampaio, then 6 years old, as heir to his fortune.
Damião Peres, History of the Bank of Portugal. Lisbon: Banco de Portugal. 1971.
Jorge Pamplona Forjaz, The Teixeira de Sampaio of Terceira Island. Porto: Center for the Study of Genealogy, Heraldry and Family History, Modern University, 2001 (ISBN 972-98018-8-6).
1.- Francisco José Teixeira de Sampaio had been born in Gouviães, Tarouca (or at least registered there, since he later declared himself born in Lamego), in 1838, the son of Pedro Teixeira de Sampaio, a native of Porto, at the time of the Lamego. He would have escaped from Lamego by courting his married wife, starting a course that would bring him to Angra, where he settled, becoming one of the most important merchants in the city. He maintained close relations with the first captain-general, D. Antão de Almada, and through him with some of the most important figures of Lisbon's politics of the time, as can be inferred from the godparents chosen for his children. On this matter see António Ornelas Mendes and Jorge Forjaz, Genealogies of Terceira Island, Historical Dispository, Lisbon, 2007 (volume IX, pp. 365-369).
2.- António Ornelas Mendes and Jorge Forjaz, Genealogies of Terceira Island, Historical Dispository, Lisbon, 2007 (volume IX, page 370).
3.- Ibidem P. 370.
4.- Francisco Manuel Trigoso de Aragão Morato, Memoirs of Francisco Manuel Trigoso de Aragão Morato, begun to write by himself in early January 1824 and completed on July 15, 1835, revised and coordinated by Ernesto de Campos de Andrada, Coimbra, Press of the University, 1933.
5.- Transcribed in António Ornelas Mendes and Jorge Forjaz, op. cit., p. 371.
6.- Known in the History of Portugal as Principal Sousa.
7.- Adrien Balbi, Variétés politico-statistiques sur la Monarchie Portugaise, devoted to M. le Baron Alexandre de Humboldt. Paris: Rey et Gravier, 1822.
8.- Damião Peres, op. cit., p. 71.
9. - Transcribed by António Ornelas Mendes and Jorge Forjaz.
You may also like
Joseph Preedy ( - ) An Important Pair of Royal George III Wine Coolers
Philip Rundell (1743 - 1827) An Important George IV Tray
Edward Farrell ( - 1850) A Magnificent Royal Pair of Figural Candlesticks made for the Duke of York
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) AN IMPORTANT SET OF FOUR SILVER-GILT GEORGE III ROYAL CANDLESTICKS
( - ) A James I Parcel Gilt Beaker, The Cosier Beaker
( - ) An Elizabeth I Silver Tazza