( Unknown - 1767 )
A Rare Tea Kettle on Stand with Original Triangular Salver En Suite
Of fluted melon form and chased with a baroque border of rocaille shells, foliate scrolls, and baskets with festoons of fruit and flowers, surmounted by a swivelling wicker grip handle. The triangular stand with complex shaped profile and cast ornate rim of shells and rosettes at the corners and the mid-sections. The surface of the stand chased with scrolls and strapwork against a diapered ground with scroll feet and original file marks and scratch weight to the underside.
The kettle and salver engraved with the coat of arms of Mr. John Shales Barrington, second and only surviving son to Sir Charles Barrington, Goldsmith, of the Vine, Lombard Street, Goldsmith to Queen Anne, and Kings George 1st and 2nd. Mr John Shales Barrington was the man responsible for the building of the present house of Barrington Hall.
The son of a Huguenot, Peter Archambo was the most distinguished apprentice of another Huguenot goldsmith, Jacob Margas. Apprenticed in 1710, Archambo was free of the Butchers' Company in December 1720 and entered his first mark three months later. His earliest address is not known but after 1739 his workshop was in Coventry Street, Piccadilly. Archambo produced plate of fine quality and, together with Paul Crespin, Charles Kandler, and Paul de Lamerie, introduced the rococo style of the 1730's. As the major supplier to George Booth, second earl of Warrington, he also produced a significant quantity of plain domestic plate. Archambo's work is notable for its French taste and plasticity. His career evidently brought his prosperity, since he was described in his will as a "gentleman"; he appears to have been able to retire by about 1750, after which little plate with his mark is known.
You May Also Like