Maker’s mark of Digby Scott & Benjamin Smith
Length: 56 cm, 22 in.
Weight: 3440 gr., 110 oz. 11 dwt.
The partnership of Digby Scott and Benjamin Smith produced some of the greatest silver works of the early 19th century. Scott and Smith jointly ran workshops located in Greenwich, England from 1802 to 1807 and during their brief partnership were the principal suppliers of silver masterpieces to the esteemed firm of Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. At the time London's most prestigious firm, these jewelers and silversmiths supplied the official plate ordered by the Lord Chamberlain's office, and were the official "Jeweller, Gold and Silversmiths to the Crown" from 1798 to 1843. Working in the cusp of the late Georgian and early Regency periods, the works of Scott and Smith often feature elements of the classical revival style such as grapevines and rams' heads, all crafted in exquisite, sumptuous detail. One of their most renowned collaborative efforts, the Duke of York Baskets, created for Frederick Augustus (1763-1827), second son of George III, is currently on display at the Powerhouse Museum in Australia.Description
An oval shaped dish with a ribbon and tie border ornamented with festoons of grapes.
The maker Benjamin Smith, together with the silversmith Paul Storr, created pieces almost exclusively for the firm Rundell & Bridge, and it is assumed that it was with Rundell’s support that Smith was able to relocate to London from Birmingham. This meat dish is an incredibly rare example of a piece struck with the mark of Rundell, Bridge & Rundell; very few surviving pieces are known to have this mark.
You may also like
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) A Superb George IV Two-Handled Tray
Alfred James, Francis William & Arthur William Pairpont ( - ) A Pair of George V Monteith Bowls
Sebastian Crespel ( - ) A Set of Three George III Tea Caddies in a Fitted Box
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) A Victorian Four-Piece Tea & Coffee Service
John Houle (1784 - 1850) A Pair of Victorian ‘Rococo’ Soup Tureens
Paul de Lamerie (1688 - London 1751) A Pair of George II Dishes