navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd A George VI Two Handled Cup and Cover

London, 1949
Maker’s mark of The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. LTD.
Underside stamped The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company LTD, 112 Regent Street W

Height: 50.2 cm, 19 ¾ in.
Weight: 3660 gr., 129 oz. 2 dwt.


Silversmith Biography

The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908). The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.) CHRONOLOGY The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co - 1880 - 1898 The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd - from 1898 amalgamated with Garrard & Co - 1952


Of vase shape with stepped foot engraved with a curvilinear pattern, and two reeded handles. Embossed horseshoe frieze around the base of the cup and finial. Chased finial ornamented with cast and applied horseshoes and polo clubs surmounted by an apple. Marked on the side near one handle and on the flange of the cover.

A George VI Two Handled Cup and Cover Reference: DT22/45/1