George II, London, 1729
Maker’s mark of John Edwards II
Diameter: 50.5 cm, 19 7/8 in.
Weight: 3,555 g, 114 oz. 6 dwt
Fully hallmarked to the border
Bearing the Royal coat-of-arms of King George II
Register / login as a Koopman Rare Art Member HERE to reveal additional information and prices
Sir William Strickland (circa 1686 - 1 September, 1735), 4th Baronet of Boynton, co. York .
Sir George Strickland (March 1729 - 13 January, 1808), 5th Baronet of Boynton, co. York, thence by decent.
The Property of the Reverend J.E. Strickland; Sotheby's, London, 27 June 1963, lot 35.
Acquired from Asprey, London, 1983.
Property from the Collection of A. Jerrold Perenchio
The Burlington Magazine, Vol. 105, No. 723, June 1963, pp. lvii.
The Ivory Hammer: The Year at Sotheby's, 219th Season, 1962-1963, p. 163.
Son of John Edwards of Oswestry Shropshire innholder, apprenticed to Thomas Prichard of the Grocers' Company 9 March 1708 for seven years, but did not take up his freedom till 7 November 1723, when the entry is witnessed by John Bache Citizen and Goldsmith. Signatory as journeyman to the petition against assaying the work of foreigners not having served seven years apprenticeship, February 1716. Two marks (Sterling and New Standard) entered as largeworker, in partnership with George Pitches, 6 December 1723. Address: St. Swithin's Lane, near Lombard Street. Third and fourth marks alone, 27 April 1724, when described as 'Grocer'. Fifth mark, 9 August 1739, same address, where Heal records him till 1753. A sixth mark, entered in new position, also reads John Edward, St. Swithin's Lane, 1 November 1753, but for the first time the signature of the Christian name reads John as against Jn for the previous entries. On the other hand the neat handwriting appears the same. We must, however, allow the possibility that this mark is that of a son. Edwards is probably the - Edwards, Subordinate Goldsmith to the King, who appears in the Jewel Office Records from 1723-1743 (Major General H.W.D. Sitwell, 'The Jewel Office and the Royal Goldsmiths', Arch Journal CXVII, p.154-55). John, son of John and Catherine Healy, lodger at Mr.Edwards, silversmith in the parish of St. Mary Woolnoth, was baptized in the same church, 9 February 1745, and Sarah and Dinah, twin daughters of Stephen and Sarah Willson, lodgers at Mr Edwards, the silversmith, baptized 27 May 1747, at the same.Description
The charger of wonderful simplicity with a sweeping gadrooned border. The centre finely engraved with the Royal coat-of-arms of George II within a baroque cartouche flanked by supporters and above the motto 'DIEU ET MON DROIT' The condition of this piece is so fine that the original centreing engravers circle is still present to the outside of the coat-of-arms.
This dish is a beautiful example of the baroque tradition of the sideboard charger.
The most important part of the buffet display of plate, the sideboard dish typically represented the connections and the wealth of the household or institution it belonged to.
After losing its functional role due to the alteration of eating habits, the presence of an impressive sideboard display of silver items remained in use to exhibit important ceremonial gifts donated by notable personalities or institutions.
In this extraordinary example, the Royal arms of George II indicate the Royal presentation to Sir William Strickland (circa 1686-1735), 4th Baronet of Boynton, co. York, on the occasion of his son, George’s, christening in March 1729.
Sir William was the first son of Sir William Strickland, 3rd Baronet of Boynton, and his wife Elizabeth Palmes. Upon his father’s death in 1724 he succeeded to Baronet and shortly after became a Lord of the Treasury and Treasurer of the Queen’s Household.
A great friend of Sir Robert Walpole, Strickland was chosen to replace Henry Pelham as Secretary at War in 1730, and was made a Privy Counsellor, a position he held until his health forced him to retire in 1735.
On 9 March 1723 he married Catherine, daughter of Sir. Jeremy Sandbrook, of Gobions, co. Herford.
Strickland inherited Boynton Hall, near Scarborough, from his father in 1724.
You may also like
Walter & John Barnard ( - ) A Skyphos Cup
Thomas Parr I ( - ) An Elegant Pair of Dishes
Mackay & Chisholm ( - ) An Unusual Hexagonal Coin Tray
Charles Frederick Kandler ( - ) An Important Rococo Soup Tureen
Augustus Le Sage ( - ) A Charming Wager Cup
Francis Boone Thomas ( - ) A Monumental Twelve-Arm Epergne