navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Philip Rundell (1743 - 1827) A Monumental George IV Salver

Silver
London, 1820
Maker’s mark of Philip Rundell

Diameter: 62.2 cm, 24 ½ in.
Weight: 6460 g, 207 oz 13 dwt


The arms are those of Antrobus
 

Provenance

Anonymous sale;
Christie’s, New York, 28 April 1992, lot 159.

Silversmith Biography

Son of Thomas Rundell doctor of Widcombe Bath, born 1743. Apprenticed to William Rodgers jeweller of Bath on payment of £20. Arrived in London, 1767 or 1769, as a shopman to Theed and Pickett, Ludgate Hill, at a salary of £20 p.a.. Made partner with Picket in 1772 and acquired sole ownership of the business in 1785-6. Took John Bridge into partnership in 1788 and his nephew Edmund Walter Rundell by 1803, the firm being styled Rundell Bridge and Rundell from 1805. Appointed Goldsmith and Jeweller to the King in 1797, due it is said, to George III's acquaintanceship with John Bridge's relative, a farmer near Weymouth. He took Paul Storr into working partnership in 1807, an arrangement that lasted until 1819, when the latter gained independence. Only then was Rundell's mark entered as plateworker, 4th March, 1819. Address: 76 Dean Street, Soho, (the workshop). In 1823 John Bridge enters his first mark and it seems probable therefore that it was about this time that Rundell retired. He did not die however until 1827, leaving his fortune of 1.25 million to his nephew Joseph Neeld.

Description

Of shaped circular form, the border embossed and chased with rich ornamentation featuring bountiful grapevines and insects. The centre is engraved with a large coat-of-arms under a drapery mantle and surrounded by flat-chased rocaille and panels of lattice. Raised on four bracket supports cast with double shells flanked by grapevines.

The arms are those of Antrobus, for Sir Edmund Antrobus, 1st Bt. (1752-1826) of Antrobus Hall, co. Chester, Amesbury, Wiltshire and Rutherford, Roxburghshire. Sir Edmund was both a Fellow of the Royal Society and of the Society of Antiquaries. The family had ancient roots in Cheshire. The family wealth was greatly increased by Edmund’s father Philip Antrobus (1720-1788) who founded cloth dying business in Congleton. Edmund moved to London and worked in Coutts Bank becoming a partner in 1777. He was created a baronet in 1815 with a special remainder to his nephews. He died unmarried in 1826 when his wealth was estimate to be £700,000, in the region of £40 million in today’s terms.

Marked to underside and border.
 

A Monumental George IV Salver (1743 - 1827) Reference: DT22.54.2