Maker’s mark of William Grundy
Height: 26 cm, 10 ¼ in.
Gross Weight: 1169 g, 37 oz 11 dwt
The silversmith William Grundy was apprenticed to Edward Vincent and obtained his freedom in 1739. His first mark as a large plate worker was entered in 1743, when he is registered with an address in Fetter Lane. In 1748 and 1754 he registered a second and third mark, having become a Liveryman of the Goldsmiths’ Company. He also appears in the Parliament Report list of 1773, where he is described as a plate worker. In 1779 he entered a partnership with Edward Fernell. He probably died before 1780 as in that year his business partner registers a mark of his own.Description
Of bombé form on a shaped rocaille foot with chased shells. The main body chased and applied on both sides with chinoiserie pastoral scenes in rocaille cartouches and surrounded by swirling festoons of flowers and scrolls, the lid surmounted with a floral finial. The spout shaped as a duck’s head with bacchic mask terminal, the shaped wooden handle issuing from a wolf mask and finished with a scroll.
You may also like
Charles Reily & George Storer ( - ) A pair of silver-mounted Ascos Jugs
Francis Butty ( - ) A George III Jug
Peter Archambo (Unknown - 1767) A Pair of Superb Rococo Candlesticks
Hunt & Roskell (1843 - 1897) A Victorian Ascos Jug
Benjamin Smith III (1793 - 1850) A William IV Columbine Cup
James Shruder (Active 1737 - 1749) The Ashton Court Salver