Maker’s mark of Philip Rundell For Rundell, Bridge & Rundell
The arms are those of Duncombe impaling Legge for Charles Duncombe (1764-1841), first son and heir of Charles Slingsby Duncombe.
Length over handles: 54.5 cm, 21½ in.
Weight: 9,983 g, 321 oz
Register / login as a Koopman Rare Art Member HERE to reveal additional information and prices
Charles, 1st Baron Feversham (1764-1841), thence by descent
The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Feversham, removed from Duncombe Park, Yorkshire,
Christie's, London, May 25, 1937, lot 24 (£644), including a matching soup tureen, cover, stand and liner, John Bridge for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell, London, 1827
Ross S. Sterling (1875-1949)
Sotheby's, London, May 12, 2015, lot 178
Son of Thomas Rundell doctor of Widcombe Bath, born 1743. Apprenticed to William Rodgers jeweller of Bath on payment of £20. Arrived in London, 1767 or 1769, as a shopman to Theed and Pickett, Ludgate Hill, at a salary of £20 p.a.. Made partner with Picket in 1772 and acquired sole ownership of the business in 1785-6. Took John Bridge into partnership in 1788 and his nephew Edmund Walter Rundell by 1803, the firm being styled Rundell Bridge and Rundell from 1805. Appointed Goldsmith and Jeweller to the King in 1797, due it is said, to George III's acquaintanceship with John Bridge's relative, a farmer near Weymouth. He took Paul Storr into working partnership in 1807, an arrangement that lasted until 1819, when the latter gained independence. Only then was Rundell's mark entered as plateworker, 4th March, 1819. Address: 76 Dean Street, Soho, (the workshop). In 1823 John Bridge enters his first mark and it seems probable therefore that it was about this time that Rundell retired. He did not die however until 1827, leaving his fortune of 1.25 million to his nephew Joseph Neeld.Description
The tureen of oval shape, the two handled stand on four shell and grape panel supports, the tureen on four massive scroll and foliate feet with oak and acorn sprays, applied gadroon, shell and foliate borders, engraved on either side with coat of arms, under a baron's coronet, cover with cast oak handle
The arms are those of Duncombe impaling Legge for Charles Duncombe (1764-1841), first son and heir of Charles Slingsby Duncombe (d. 1803); on July 14, 1826 he was created Baron Feversham of Duncombe Park, Yorkshire. He was married on 24 September 1795 to Charlotte (1774-1848), daughter of William Legge, 2nd Earl of Dartmouth. High Sheriff for Yorkshire in 1790, he was MP for Shaftesbury from 1790 to 1796, for Aldborough from 1796 to 1806, for Heytesbury from 1812 to 1818 and for Newport, Isle of Wight from 1818 to 1826.
The design of this tureen relates to a pen and wash drawing in an album of such designs executed during the early years of the 19th Century for the royal goldsmiths, Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. Charles Oman, in his article, ‘A Problem of Artistic Responsibility’, suggested that at least some of the drawings, including that of the tureen, were the work of Edward Hodges Baily (1788-1867), the artist sculptor who in 1807 became a pupil of John Flaxman. He supplied designs to Rundell, Bridge & Rundell between 1815 and 1833, when he moved to Storr & Mortimer, later Hunt & Roskell. See Apollo, London, March 1966, p. 182, fig. 14.
Much of Lord Feversham's Rundell, Bridge & Rundell silver dinner service, which dated chiefly from 1827, was sold at Christie's, London, on May 25, 1937 and May 17, 1967. See lot 154 for a set of four silver wine coasters, John Bridge, 1827, from the same service.
You may also like
Thomas Pitts ( - ) A Neo-Classical Centrepiece
Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd ( - ) A Pair of Five-Light Silver Candelabra from the Painted Hall at Greenwich
Elizabeth Jones ( - ) An Elegant Square Salver
Robert Garrard II (1793 - 1881) The Lonsdale Salver
Richard Sibley ( - 1836) A Set of Twelve Soup Plates
James Shruder (Active 1737 - 1749) The Ashton Court Salver