navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Hunt & Roskell (1843 - 1897) The Stockbridge Cup

A Large Victorian Punch Bowl
London, 1881
Maker’s mark of John Hunt & Robert Roskell
Fully hallmarked on the base together with the retailer’s stamp of Hunt & Roskell the Late Storr & Mortimer
Also, with the model number 8051.

Length over handles: 53.4 cm, 21 in.
Weight: 10,182 g, 327 oz 5 dwt,



 

Register / login as a Koopman Rare Art Member HERE to reveal additional information and prices

Additional Images Video Provenance

Sotheby's New York, June 24, 1987, lot 138

Silversmith Biography

John Hunt & Robert Roskell 156 New Bond Street, London W 26 Harrison St, nr Clerkenwell. Silversmiths and jewellers to Queen Victoria. Successors to Mortimer & Hunt on the retirement of John Mortimer. Hunt & Roskell, a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-22), Storr & Mortimer (1822-38), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-43) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-97). Hunt & Roskell had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until c.1965.

Description

The bowl circular and raised on four bracket feet formed as chameleons and capped by butterfly wings, cast and chased with four scenes from the poem John Gilpin by William Cowper, each scene separated by fantastic figures in full-relief, belt-tied twig handles incorporating swords and whips, The sides of the bowl with four cast pixies. The scalloped rim applied with bead and wrigglework. The superb bowl resting on a wooden plinth

The scenes shown are taken from the following verses of William Cowper's poem John Gilpin:
Each bottle had a curling ear,
Through which the belt he drew,
And hung a bottle on each side
To make his balance true.
The dogs did bark, the children screamed,
Up flew the windows all;
And every soul cried out, "Well done!"
As loud as he could bawl
"Stop thief! stop thief! a highwayman!"
Not one of them was mute;
And all and each that passed that way
Did join in the pursuit.
Now let us sing, Long live the King
And Gilpin, long live he;
And when he next doth ride abroad
May I be there to see!

“The Stockbridge Cup”, run for at Stockbridge Races, Hampshire, Thursday, 30 June 1881. The prize was £300 and the cup this “circular two-handled bowl, with panels representing in high relief Gilpin’s ride to Edmonton, which was supplied by Messers Hunt and Roskell, of New Bond St.” The winner was Charibert, a chestnut by Thormanby out of Gertrude, who in 1880 had a series of wins at Ascot, Newmarket and Brighton. He was owned by Robert Charles de Grey Vyner (1842-1915), who shortly thereafter inherited Newby Hall, Yorkshire, with its wonderful Robert Adam interiors.

This Stockbridge Cup was also shown by Hunt & Roskell at their New Bond Street premises in December 1893 at a loan exhibition of works of art in silver “which for costliness, artistic design, and excellence of workmanship are far beyond comparison with the ordinary presentation ‘pieces of plate’… the Stockbridge Cup of 1881, won by Charibert, and lent by Mr. R.C. Vyner, which has for its subject the story of John Gilpin's ride to Ware, several panels illustrating the humorous incidents of the story” (The Sporting Life, London, Saturday, 23 December 1893, p. 5).
 

The Stockbridge Cup (1843 - 1897) Reference: DT22.65.3