Hunt & Roskell
( 1843 - 1897 )
The Sir Daniel Gooch Tazzas
The bases with the cast and applied coat-of-arms of Sir Daniel Gooch, together with the city coats of-arms of London and Bristol.
The tazza on quatro-foil bases decorated with acanthus and various cast and applied foliate décor. The bases also with a coiled cable representing the first telegraph cable that Sir Daniel Gooch was involved with achieving between England and America. He was also behind the Great Western Railway Company and these tazzas were presumably presented by the Cities of London and Bristol for his fine engineering achievement.
John Hunt & Robert Roskell 156 New Bond Street, London W 26 Harrison St, nr Clerkenwell. Silversmiths and jewellers to Queen Victoria. Successors to Mortimer & Hunt on the retirement of John Mortimer. Hunt & Roskell, a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-22), Storr & Mortimer (1822-38), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-43) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-97). Hunt & Roskell had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until c.1965.
You May Also Like