Hunt & Roskell
( 1843 - 1897 )
A Pair of 19th Century Sculptural Wine Ewers
The ewers on round pedestal bases decorated with acanthus leaves and beaded wire. The ovoid bodies’ with a cast and applied scene of Neptune, Salacia riding hippocampi and surrounded by putti riding grotesque dolphins and blowing conches. The handle formed as a female triton and child the spout and neck of the ewer issuing from Neptune masks. The sides and remaining areas decorated with trailing acanthus fruit, tendrils, flowers and leaves.
John Hunt & Robert Roskell
156 New Bond Street, London W 26 Harrison St, nr Clerkenwell. Silversmiths and jewellers to Queen Victoria. Successors to Mortimer & Hunt on the retirement of John Mortimer. Hunt & Roskell, a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-22), Storr & Mortimer (1822-38), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-43) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-97). Hunt & Roskell had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until c.1965.
You May Also Like