A George III ‘Warwick’ Cruet Stand
The stand with a shell centred handle with tongue-capped S-scrolls. Five ring holders encompass three casters, each engraved with two crests, and two glass bottles. The frame with a cast cartouche, engraved with an armorial to the asymmetric shield. The stand resting on four outstanding dolphin scroll supports with pierced cast feet.
These unconventional arms maybe of Welsh origin. The crest: a Cornish chough proper holding in its dexter claw a fleur-de-lis or (Williams). The distinctive crest is for the WIILLIAMS family of Frefoss, Anglesey.
Property of a gentleman
Son of Alexander Johnston late of St. Giles in the Fields draper deceased, apprenticed to Thomas Moulden 6 August 1724. Free, 3 September 1734. First mark entered as largeworker, 11 May 1733. Address: 'At the Crown in Foster Lane'. 'Free Goldsmith'. This entry is annotated 'dead' as so many at the period. A New entry as largeworker, 22 January 1748 (Address: 'Of Alley Villiers Street, York Buildings') seems to be in the same handwriting, be we should have expected an entry of a different mark in 1739 to comply with the act. Moved to Panton Street, 28 July 1749. Moved to Spur Street, Leicester Fields, 9 May 1753. Moved to Old 'Jury', 10 February 1757 (both in register entry without mark). Heal records him in Panton Street, 1747; and with Charles Geddes as jewellers, Golden Ball, Panton Street, near Leicester Square, c.1760; with another reference from the Parl. Report list, 1773 as platworker, Old Jewry. A second Alexander Johnston is recorded free by redemption, 9 February 1757, described as goldsmith. It is possible that these two entries are for entirely different persons but the position remains uncertain.
You May Also Like