James Shruder (Active 1737 - 1749)
James Shruder was likely a German protestant who was also part of the Lamerie group although no record exists of his apprenticeship or freedom. The character of his work, at its best, is some of the finest rococo plate of the day and suggests a German origin and training to match his name. His first mark entered as largeworker, 1 August 1737. Address: Wardour Street, St. Ann's, Westminster. Second and third marks, 25 June 1739. Address: Greek Street, Soho. Below this, an undated note, "James Shruder at the Golden Ewer in Spur Street, Leicester Square". Bankrupt, June 1749 as Goldsmith, St. Martin's in the Fields. Heal records him as above, with the addition of the sign of the Golden Ewer in Greek Street; as well as Corner of Hedge Lane, Leicester Square, from 1774. His power as a designer is exemplified by his highly original trade-card signed "J. Shruder Inv." and engraved by J. Warburton, which he unusually deisgned himself.