John S. Tapley entered his first mark on 7th December 1833. Trading with his sons William Tapley and George Tapley as John Tapley & Co, manufacturing silversmiths, he appears to have moved to 4 Horse Shoe Court, Ludgate Hill, in 1835 alongside the newly rebuilt premises of Rundell, Bridge & Co the Royal Goldsmiths of 32 Ludgate Hill. Upon George Tapley retiring from the partnership on 9th August 1842, the firm was styled John Tapley & Son. They moved to 40 Roupell Street, Cornwall Road, Waterloo Road, by 30th September 1844, listed as manufacturing silversmiths. S William Tapley left his father in the summer of 1845, entering hiw own mark from 4 Wyndham Road, Camberwell New Road, Camberwell. John Tapley meanwhile continued to be listed as a silversmith at 40 Roupell Street until 1857 although Robert Tagg, presumed to be Tapley's successor, had already entered his mark from the same address, designated as his 'manufactory'.