Francis Crump

Son of John Crump of Bewdley in the County of Worcester cap-maker, apprenticed to Gabriel Sleath 30 August 1726 on payment of 10 guineas, Free 6 November 1741. First mark entered as largeworker, 9 November 1741. Address: Newcastle Street, near Fleet Market. Second mark, 14 May 1745. An entry without mark, 20 July 1750, records his move to 'the nine elms, Battersea Parish'. Moved to Fenchurch Street, opposite Gracechurch and third mark, 30 March 1751. Fourth mark, in partnership with Gabriel Sleath, 27 November 1753. Fifth mark, alone. 26 March 1756. Address: Gutter Lane. Sixth mark, in smallworker's bo0ok, but of same size preceding, 17 October 1761, same address. Heal records him as plateworker, Newcastle Street 1741-50, and Gutter Lane 1753-73, as he appears in the latter year in the Parl Report List. Married 19 February 1760 as bachelor, Sarah Bulbeck of the parish of St. Mary, Woolwich, in the County of Kent, spinster at St Vedast, Foster Lane. They had four children baptised at the same church: Mary 1761, John 1763, Francis 1765, and Sleath 1767. (Gabriel Sleath, his onetime master and partner, presumably acting as godfather). The Gentleman's Magazine records the legacy to Francis Crump, Goldsmith, of £100 from John Cartlidge MD, who died 29 August 1752. It is interesting to note that another Francis Crump, son of Daniel Crump of Bewdley, cordwainer, was also apprenticed to Gabriel Sleath, 5 October 1752. Free, 6 May 1761, but has no mark entered.