The firm of Buccellati was founded in 1919 by the goldsmith and designer Mario Buccellati who opened shops in Milan, Rome and Florence. The high quality of craftsmanship and the recognisable design of their pieces positioned the firm at the high end of the luxury market. Starting from the 1950's Buccellati expanded to the international market, opening premises all over the world. European royal families, the Pope and his Cardinals were among Buccellati’s clients. A poet Gabrielle D’Annunzio, a friend and, perhaps, the most devoted admirer of his art, used to call the jeweller “the Prince of Goldsmiths” and “the Perfect Bowl Master”. Some pieces created by Mario Buccellati are still a part of the family collection – for example, a crystal necklace made for Eleonora Duse, an Italian actress. In 1949, Pope Pious XIII honoured Mario Buccellati to design an icon for Princess Margaret, who visited the Vatican that year.