navigation Browse Blog

koopman rare art

 
 
Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd  A Pair of Five-Light Silver Candelabra from the Painted Hall at Greenwich

London 1938
Maker's Mark of Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd

Height: 63.5 cm
Weight: 382 oz. (2)

£ 34,000

 

Additional Images Silversmith Biography

The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908). The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.) CHRONOLOGY The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co - 1880 - 1898 The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd - from 1898 amalgamated with Garrard & Co - 1952

Description

In the Art Deco style, the four scroll branches leading to the stem with central light with detachable nozzles. On stepped bases with four feet, engraved with the crowned monogram of George VI.

 A Pair of Five-Light Silver Candelabra from the Painted Hall at Greenwich Reference: 23274.6