Maker's mark of Gibson & Langman
Retailed by Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co.
Length: 58 cm, 22.8 in.
Weight: 3,260 g, 104 oz 16 dwt
Register / login as a Koopman Rare Art Member HERE to reveal additional information and prices
The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The firm participated in a number of national and international exhibitions, such as the Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908). The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.) CHRONOLOGY The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co - 1880 - 1898 The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd - from 1898 amalgamated with Garrard & Co - 1952
You may also like
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) An Outstanding Paul Storr Soup Tureen
Robert Hennell III ( - ) An Oak Leaf Embellished Ewer
Thomas Bradbury II (1786 - 1855) A Pair of Six-Light Candelabra
John Samuel Hunt ( - ) A Fabulous Pair of Victorian Claret Jugs
Charles Frederick Kandler ( - ) An Important Rococo Soup Tureen
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) A Paul Storr Tea and Coffee Set