A Superb Pair of Candlesticks
The design of neo-classical style. On circular bases with acanthus leaf foliate borders, the main shaft fluted, topped with tulip shaped capitals adorned with acanthus border to the bases, with detachable nozzles.
A matching pair of identical design by William Café, London, 1767 and 1771 can be found in the collection of The Israel Museum, Jerusalem [B90.0494(a-d)], engraved with the crest of the Earl of Albemarle. (See additional images). William, with his brother John Café, were the foremost goldsmiths producing candlesticks in the eighteenth century. Therefore, this design would have been known to a maker such as William Cattell.
Son of John Cattell of Browton in the County of Northampton husbandman, apprenticed to John Easton 3 May 1753 and turned over the same day to Samuel Eaton leatherseller. Free, 7 May 1760. Only mark entered as smallworker, 2 February 1771. Address: Bull Head Court, Jewin Street, where he appears as smallworker in the Parl. Report list 1773. Moved to the Swan at Hoxton, 29 April 1773.
You May Also Like