Benjamin Smith II & James Smith III
A Pair of Footed Salvers
Given the date of hallmarking this pair of footed salvers were most probably in the
possession of Colonel Sir Joshua Jebb, KCB (born May 1793 died 26th June 1863)
of The Elms, Parsons Green, Fulham in the County of Middlesex. He was the eldest
son of Joshua Jebb, of Chesterfield in the County of Derbyshire and his wife,
Dorothy Gladwyn (died July 1825). It was Dorothy who brought the second and
third quarters of Gladwin and Dakeyne into the Jebb family upon her marriage to the
Sir Joshua’s father.
Sir Joshua married twice. Firstly, to Mary Legh Thomas (died 1850), the daughter of
William Burtinshaw Thomas, of Highfield in the County of Derbyshire on the 14th
June 1830, and secondly, to Lady Amelia Rose Pelham (born 17th June 1806 died 2nd
January 1884), the eldest daughter of Thomas Pelham, the 2nd Earl of Chichester and
his wife, Lady Mary Henrietta Juliana Osborne, the only daughter of Francis
Godolphin Osborne, 5th Duke of Leeds and Lady Amelia Darcy on 5th September
As a military surveyor, took part in the Battle of Plattsburgh on Lake Champlain
during the War of 1812. Sir Joshua also served as the Chairman of the Directors of
Convict Prisons, Inspector of Military Prisons, and Surveyor General of Prisons.
He was appointed as a Knight Commander of the Civil Division of The Most
Honourable Order of the Bath (KCB) on the 25th March 1859.
E. & C. T. Koopman & Son Ltd., London, 18 June 1984.
Benjamin and James Smith were brother who were in partnership from 1809 until 1812 after having registered their joint mark. They lived and worked in Birmingham, for some time in partnership with Matthew Boulton, before moving to London to work closely with Paul Storr and the renowned firm of Rundell & Bridge. The excellent quality of their work is such that it is comparable to the royal silversmith, Paul Storr; the work of Benjamin Smith can be found in the collection of Her Majesty the Queen.
You May Also Like