close

John Bridge

( 1755 - 1834 )

An Exceptional Pair of William IV Swan Candlesticks

John Bridge

( 1755 - 1834 )

An Exceptional Pair of William IV Swan Candlesticks

Silver & parcel-gilt 
London, 1833
Maker's mark of John Bridge 

Height: 17cm; 6.7in
Weight (for pair):  1,510g; 48 oz 10dwt


Both stamped with the royal retailers mark of 'Rundell Bridge & Rundell’

These candlesticks were based on a design by the Duchess of Sutherland, (1765-1839), the amateur landscape painter and engraver.




 

The cast shaped-triangular bases with shell corners and with three applied swans. With central foliage stems, berried and foliage capitals and detachable petal sconces. Rundells produced naturalism as a form of the picturesque and this is clearly demonstrated by these candlesticks formed as three swans. They were first produced in 1825-6 in partially gilded silver and subsequently produced by the firm in bronze and ormolu. After the closure of the workshops of Rundells at Dean Street William Bateman continued to make candlesticks in this form for the firm; the bronze and ormolu versions are stamped with Rundell's Latin signature and appear to date from the 1830s. After the firm closed versions continued to be made by others in bronze and ormolu though of much inferior quality.

 

John Bridge (Dorset 1755 - London 1834) The eldest son of Thomas Bridge of Piddle Trenthide Dorset, born 21 January 1755. He was a co-founder of the greatest 19th century retailers to ever grace England, Rundell Bridge & Rundell, Royal retailers to the Prince Regent. Employing some of the most eminent craftsmen of his day. Both new and old silver, jewellery, objects of virtue and watches made up the vast stock at the London shop at number 32 Ludgate Hill. By the 1820's, it was a vast enterprise with agencies in Paris, Vienna, St. Petersburg, Baghdad, Constantinople, Bombay, Calcutta, and various cities in South America. The success was as much due to the endeavours of John Bridge as to Rundell's own ruthless character and the beauty and quality of the merchandise. Rundell & Bridge were a London firm of jewellers and goldsmiths formed by Philip Rundell (1746–1827) and John Bridge (1755–1834). When Edmond Waller Rundell, nephew of Philip Rundell, was admitted as a partner in 1804, the firm's name changed to Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. That same year John Gawler Bridge, nephew of John Bridge also joined the firm. Following John Bridge's death in 1834 a new partnership was formed comprising John Gawler Bridge, Thomas Bigge, John Bridge's nephews and Bigge's son, and the firm changed its name to Rundell, Bridge & Co. The firm was appointed as one of the goldsmiths and jewellers to the king in 1797 and Principal Royal Goldsmiths & Jewellers in 1804, and the firm held the Royal Warrant until 1843. After the Congress of Vienna (1814-15), the firm prepared 22 snuffboxes to a value of 1000 guineas each to be given as diplomatic gifts. Amongst its employees were the well-known artists John Flaxman and Thomas Stothard, who both designed and modelled silverware. Directing their workshops from 1802 were the silversmith Benjamin Smith and the designer Digby Scott, and in 1807, Paul Storr, the most celebrated English silversmith of the period, took charge, withdrawing from the firm in 1819 to establish his own workshops. The Royal Goldsmiths served four monarchs: George III, George IV, William IV and Victoria. In addition, their name was attributed to the 'Rundell Tiara', made for Princess Alexandra in 1863.

You May Also Like

An Early English Easel Mirror

Anthony Nelme

The Earl of Eglinton’s Sauce Tureens

Paul Storr

A Pair of Scottish Abalone Silver Mounted Dishes on Stands

Hamilton's & Co.

A George III Eight-Bottle Cruet

Paul Storr

John Bridge