The famed jeweller Raymond Yard, born 1885, began his career at just age thirteen when William Marcus Elder, the owner of the exclusive jeweller’s Marcus & Co., offered him a job as a runner at his Manhattan boutique. Yard earned his position as one of the firm’s most sought-after sale-man over the course of twenty years, renowned for his honesty and knowledge. In 1922, he opened his first store on Fifth Avenue, New York but had to relocate to larger premises which just four years of opening to accommodate his rapidly expanding business and growing clientele. Yard gained a reputation for using the most exquisite metals and superlative stones in his pieces, a true perfectionist. Raymond Yard retired in 1958, passing control of the company to Glen McQuaker, Donald Bartow, and Robert Gibson. Gibson subsequently passed the firm onto his son in 1989, who still runs the business from Connecticut today.