The silversmith William Grundy was apprenticed to Edward Vincent and obtained his freedom in 1739. His first mark as a large plate worker was entered in 1743, when he is registered with an address in Fetter Lane. In 1748 and 1754 he registered a second and third mark, having become a Liveryman of the Goldsmiths’ Company. He also appears in the Parliament Report list of 1773, where he is described as a plate worker. In 1779 he entered a partnership with Edward Fernell. He probably died before 1780 as in that year his business partner registers a mark of his own.