William Leuchars was the son of James Leuchars, the founder of the original company that passed to his widow Lucy Leuchars upon his death; the firm then being known as Lucy Leuchars & Son, 1841. After Lucy’s death in 1847, sole ownership of the business was transferred to William. Best known for producing the finest quality dressing cases, the firm exhibited and won prize medals at the Great Exhibition 1851, the International Exhibition 1862, and the International Exposition 1867 in Paris. In 1870, William Leuchars and his son, also called William, opened a further shop in Paris under the name Leuchars & Son. William Jnr took control over the business on his fathers’ death in 1871 and went on to win a gold medal at the International Exposition 1878, Paris, for the firms dressing cases.