The Ewer 10.7in, (27.5cm.) high
The Basin 15in, (38cm.) wide
Weight: 77oz, (2,421gr.) (2)
The Arms are those of Sir John Fleming,
1st Baronet of Brompton Park
The ewer is vase-shaped on a spreading circular foot, the foot chased with a border of shells, flowers and foliage on a textured ground, rising to a spirally-fluted stem with moulded rib knop, the body with a textured fluted border, plain central field and broad upper border chased with an elaborate band of floral scrolls and shells on a scalework ground, the central chased rococo cartouche with engraved coat-of-arms, a classical female mask and shell above, the leaf-capped double-scroll handle with chased floral garland, spiral-fluted end and shell terminal, the helmet-shaped spout with reeded border, marked on the body, the base engraved with scratchweight ‘34=11’; the basin, shaped oval with a broad outcurved border, the reeded and shell border above a chased band of floral sprigs, scrolls, vacant cartouches, scalework, and stylised floral panels on a textured ground, the well with engraved coat-of-arms, marked on reverse of border, the base engraved with scratchweight ‘42=17’
The arms are those of the Fleming and Coleman families. Sir John Fleming was the first to be named Baronet of Brompton Park, Middlesex in April 1763. In 1753 he married Jane Coleman, daughter of William Coleman. They had two daughters and after the death of the Baronet John Fleming in 1763, his wife re-married.