Maker’s mark of Thomas Parr
The arms are possibly those of Trevor.
Diameter: 25.4cm, 10in
Weight: 1,001g, 32oz 4dwt
Hallmarked on border
The dishes of circular form, the wide borders with sloping gadroon rims chased in high relief, the centre engraved with a coat-of-arms within a baroque strapwork cartouche flanked with boughs of fruiting vines.
Anonymous sale [Captain J. A. Cochrane Barrett O.B.E.]; Christie’s, London, 27 November 1957, lot 96, (to Willson).
Acquired Walter H. Willson Ltd., London, September 1958.
D. Fennimore et al., The David and Peggy Rockefeller Collection: Decorative Arts, New York, 1992, vol. IV, p. 384, no. 421.Silversmith Biography
Son of Henry Parr late of the County of Cork in the Kingdom of Ireland clerk deceased, apprenticed to Simon Noy 9th September 1687. Free of the apprenticeship, 8th August 1694. Liveryman of the Goldsmiths Hall, October 1712. His first mark is entered as a largeworker, undated , probably April 1697 on the commencement of his registration. His address was Wood Street, London. His second mark was entered 19th August 1717 and his address Cheapside, London. He was a signatory as ‘working goldsmith’ to the petition complaining of the competition of ‘necessitous strangers’, (The Huguenot silversmiths), December 1711. He also signed against assaying work of foreigners not having served seven years apprenticeship, February 1716. The baptism and/or burials of eight sons and daughters of Thomas and Sarah Parr are recorded in the registers of St Matthew, Friday Street, between 1703 and 1713 and two further sons at St Vedast, Foster Lane, 1716 and 1718. Thomas Parr’s own burial, however, appears to be unrecorded in either of these registers. He had died by 20th June 1728 when his widow Sarah entered her mark.