John Tapley

An Ornately Patterned Circular Salver

John Tapley

An Ornately Patterned Circular Salver

London, 1853
Maker's mark of John Tapley

Weight: 1,000 g, 32.1 oz.


John S. Tapley entered his first mark on 7th December 1833. Trading with his sons William Tapley and George Tapley as John Tapley & Co, manufacturing silversmiths, he appears to have moved to 4 Horse Shoe Court, Ludgate Hill, in 1835 alongside the newly rebuilt premises of Rundell, Bridge & Co the Royal Goldsmiths of 32 Ludgate Hill. Upon George Tapley retiring from the partnership on 9th August 1842, the firm was styled John Tapley & Son. They moved to 40 Roupell Street, Cornwall Road, Waterloo Road, by 30th September 1844, listed as manufacturing silversmiths. S William Tapley left his father in the summer of 1845, entering hiw own mark from 4 Wyndham Road, Camberwell New Road, Camberwell. John Tapley meanwhile continued to be listed as a silversmith at 40 Roupell Street until 1857 although Robert Tagg, presumed to be Tapley's successor, had already entered his mark from the same address, designated as his 'manufactory'.

You May Also Like

A Rare Form Glass Mounted Claret Jug

Robert Hennell III

A Novelty Shaped Teapot

John Samuel Hunt

A Silver-Gilt Mounted Claret Jug

Charles Fox

A Pair of Victorian Dessert Stands

Robert Garrard II

John Tapley