Maker’s mark of Francis Butty & Lewis Hearne
Height: 16 inches (40.6 cm)
Weight: 146 oz (4,542 g)
Each on shaped circular base, with rococo scrolls, the double baluster stems and central socket with acanthus leaves, the three-arm branch with conforming sockets, the wax pans and nozzles with cast scrolls, with pinecone and flower finial.
No record of apprenticeship or freedom. First mark entered as largeworker in partnership with Lewis Herne, 13 July 1757. Address: Clerkenwell Close. Herne absconded from that address, 1765. Second mark, in partnership with Nicholas Dumee, presumably entered sometime after 1758 in the missing register. The appear as goldsmiths in the Parl. Report list 1773, at the same address, where Heal records them until 1776. The Gentleman's Magazine records their bankruptcy, March 1773. Dumee (q.v.) entered a mark in partnership with William Holmes, September 1773, presumably as a result of the bankruptcy. Butty is listed as Huguenot by Evans.
You may also like
( - ) The Charles Mercer Ewer
Philip Rundell (1743 - 1827) A Set of Four George III Silver Salts
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) An Important Regency Candelabrum Centrepiece
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) The Earl of Eglinton’s Sauce Tureens
Paul Storr (1771 - Tooting 1844) A George III Knife Tray
Edward Farrell ( - 1850) A George IV Oval Shaped Tray