Maker’s mark of Peter Archambo II & Peter Meure
Bearing the coat-of-arms to both sides for the Lonsdale family.
Diameter: 27cm, 10.6un
Weight:1,580g, 50oz 16dwt
The son of a Huguenot, Peter Archambo was the most distinguished apprentice of another Huguenot goldsmith, Jacob Margas. Apprenticed in 1710, Archambo was free of the Butchers' Company in December 1720 and entered his first mark three months later. His earliest address is not known but after 1739 his workshop was in Coventry Street, Piccadilly. Archambo produced plate of fine quality and, together with Paul Crespin, Charles Kandler, and Paul de Lamerie, introduced the rococo style of the 1730's. As the major supplier to George Booth, second earl of Warrington, he also produced a significant quantity of plain domestic plate. Archambo's work is notable for its French taste and plasticity. His career evidently brought his prosperity, since he was described in his will as a "gentleman"; he appears to have been able to retire by about 1750, after which little plate with his mark is known.Description
The plain circular bowl with pedestal foot. Hallmarked to the underside and bearing the scratch weight 51=15
William Lowther, 1st Earl of Lonsdale KG (29 December 1757 – 19 March 1844) was a British Tory politician and nobleman. Lowther was the son of Sir William Lowther, 1st Baronet, of Little Preston and Swillington, and his wife Anne Zouch. He was educated at Westminster and Trinity College, Cambridge.
Lowther was briefly Member of Parliament for Appleby in 1780, for Carlisle from 1780 to 1784 and for Cumberland from 1784 to 1790. In 1796, he was returned as Member of Parliament for Rutland, holding the seat until 1802. In that year, he inherited by special remainder the titles of Viscount Lowther and Baron Lowther from his third cousin once removed, the Earl of Lonsdale of the first creation, as well as his immense estates. He was also appointed to the northern Lord Lieutenancies of Cumberland and Westmorland. In 1807, Lowther was himself created Earl of Lonsdale and appointed a Knight of the Garter.
A coal magnate, he spent £200,000 on the Lowther estate and built a new Lowther Castle. A Tory in politics, he seems to have been tolerant and well-liked, disdaining sabbatarianism and serving as patron for a number of painters and authors, including William Wordsworth. Lonsdale died at York House, Twickenham in 1844. Lowther also enjoyed fox hunting, serving as Master of the Cottesmore Hunt from 1788 to 1802 and 1806 to 1842.
You may also like
Charles Reily & George Storer ( - ) A pair of silver-mounted Ascos Jugs
Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd ( - ) A Monumental Victorian Basket Centrepiece
Edward Feline ( - 1753) The Bolingbroke Punch Bowl
( - ) An Edwardian Heart-Shaped Clock
James Fray / Daniel & Charles Houle ( - ) An Exquisite Pair of Silver Gilt Chargers
Samuel Godbehere & Edward Wigan ( - ) A George III Tray