close

Charles Stuart Harris

( 1852 - 1897 )

A George V Centrepiece Epergne

Charles Stuart Harris

( 1852 - 1897 )

A George V Centrepiece Epergne

Made in London 1911
By  Charles Stuart Harris & Sons

Height: 26.5cm, 47cm
Weight: 73.2ozt
 

Of elaborate design in the 18th Century taste, with a central detachable bowl, and four arms supporting four smaller swing handled baskets of matching design, the oval base on pierced rococo scroll supports.
 

This large business of manufacturing silversmiths, C.S. Harris & Sons Ltd, is said to have been commenced by John Mark Harris, a spoon maker, in 1817; he moved c. 1831 to 27 Nelson Street, City Road. It would appear that the firm was continued by John Robert Harris, probably J.M. Harris's son, who moved c.1842 to 29 Kirby Street, Hatton Garden where he is listed from 1843 until 1852 as a silver spoon and fork manufacturer. The business then passed c.1852 to Charles Stuart Harris, who is listed from 1854 at 29 Kirby Street as and electro spoon and fork maker, electro plater and gilder and agent for plated wares (1856), electro spoon and fork maker, electro plater and gilder and manufacturer of plated wares and silversmith (1858), and silversmith (1871). In 1885 he purchased the business of D.J. & C. Houle, manufacturing silversmiths, from Charles Houle and the executors of his brother, Daniel John Houle, retaining their workshops at 24 Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell, EC. C.S. Harris opened additional manufacturing premises c.1892 at 41 and 42 Hatton Garden EC. In 1897 the business was convereted into a limited liability company under the style of C.S. Harris and Sons, Ltd. described as, 'manufacturing gold and silversmiths, manufacturers of and dealers in gold and silver plate, wire and lace, dealers in gold and silver, diamonds and other precious metals and stones, electroplaters, silverers and jewellers, etc,' with premises at 41 and 42 Hatton Garden, EC, 28 & 29 Kirby Street, Hatton Garden, EC, and 23 and 24 Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell, EC, and the directors recorded as Henry Stuart Harris, Walter Stuart Harris, Edwin Stuart Harris, Alfred Stuart Harris, and Frederick Stuart Harris. C.S. Harris & Sons Ltd. were also in possession of premises at 13 & 14 Bateman Street, Soho, acquired, probably in December 1897, from Arthur Stuart Harris and Ernst Stuart Harris, trading as Harris brothers, and maintained until c.1906. C.S. Harris & Sons Ltd continued in business until 1933/34, latterly giving up all their premises except those at 41 & 42 Hatton Garden. They were subsequently incorporated into I Freeman & Sons Ltd. manufacturing silversmiths and dealers in antique silver and plated wares of 23 Hatton Garden, EC.

You May Also Like

A Rare Pair of Silver Mounted Cut Glass Dessert Dishes

Paul Storr

A English 'Bullet' Teapot

George Wickes

An Early 19th Century ‘Teniers’ Teapot

Edward Farrell

Three Early 18th Century Light House Casters

John Sutton

Charles Stuart Harris