A Pair of Candelabra for the Earl of Kildare
The stems in the form of male and female satyrs. The bases chased with panels of basketweave and reserves of shells on matted ground, on leaf-flanked shell feet, the oak-festooned sconces chases with rococo cartouches on a ground of sloping flutes, detachable three-light branches with swirled berried foliate arms and multiple-petalled sunflower sconces, engraved on both bases and branch sockets with the Fitzgerald crest below and earl’s coronet.
The crest is that of Fitzgerald for James Fitzgerald (1722-73) who succeeded his father on February 20, 1744, as the 20th Earl of Kildare. He was created a peer of Great Britain as Viscount Leinster of Taplow in 1747, advanced to the Earldom of Offaly and the Marquessate of Kildare in 1761, and the Dukedom of Leinster in 1766. He married Emilia Mary, daughter of Charles, 2nd Duke of Richmond and Lennox on February 7, 1747.
These candelabra are listed in the Wickes ledgers as two “fine chais’d candlesticks & branches & false nozils” and were delivered to the Earl on May 27th, 1745. They weighed 308 ozs 12 dwts., the silver cost £95 3s 6d and a making charge of ten shillings an ounce was added to make a total cost of £154.
Christie’s, London, May 12, 1926, lot 162, the property of His Grace the Duke of Leinster (to Crichton Brothers 447.15 gns)
Thomas Lumley, London
S.J. Phillips, London.
Sold to Mrs Ortiz Linares (1900-80) on June 5, 1951, by descent to her son, George Ortiz (1927- )
Elaine Barr, George Wickes, Royal Goldsmith 1698-1761, London, 1980, pp. 84-86.
You May Also Like