close

Hunt & Roskell

( 1843 - 1897 )

A Pair of Victorian Jugs

Hunt & Roskell

( 1843 - 1897 )

A Pair of Victorian Jugs

Made in London in 1842
By Hunt & Roskell

Weight: 2640 g / 84oz 18dwt
Height: 28 cm, 11.02 in
 

Each jug is modelled peculiarly as the long neck physically sinks into the bellied rounded body, bending the surface and giving an extremely fluid shape to the pieces. Each jug also presents a domed cover with grapes finials and borders of pendant grapes and vine leaves. The handles are modelled as tapering vinestocks branching into fruiting vine trails around the neck and body. Each jug resting on a circular foot. The bodies of the two jugs are worked entirely with the stippling technique.  
 

John Hunt & Robert Roskell

156 New Bond Street, London W 26 Harrison St, nr Clerkenwell. Silversmiths and jewellers to Queen Victoria. Successors to Mortimer & Hunt on the retirement of John Mortimer. Hunt & Roskell, a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-22), Storr & Mortimer (1822-38), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-43) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-97). Hunt & Roskell had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until c.1965.

You May Also Like

An Important Salver

Simon Pantin

An Irish Wolf Hound Stirrup Cup

James Barclay Hennell

An Exceptional George III Candelabra Suite

Paul Storr

A Pair of George III Sauce Tureens on Stands

Thomas Heming

Hunt & Roskell